Details on roles we have available or are always looking to fill at THE THIRD FLOOR follow below. Our online careers form can be accessed from the above link to apply online.
Previs Shot Creator
The Third Floor is seeking ambitious artists who are looking for a golden opportunity to make their mark on the entertainment industry. By using the language of cinematography and animation in tandem to design the strongest possible sequences, a previs artist holds an impactful and highly collaborative role in the filmmaking process. The artistic sketch of the film to come, quickly produced through previs, supports effective creation, communication and realization of the project from development through to production and post.
A previs shot creator pieces together elements, sets them in motion, and “films” them with virtual cameras to create cinematic sequences that represent the creative blueprint. Nearly any aspect of a shot can be tweaked instantaneously to improve the composition or the timing of the action. Working with the previs supervisor, previs shot creators produce previs shots and sequences that help to support the director's vision via appropriate use of camera movement, lenses, composition, staging, lighting, and editing.
The ideal candidate:
- Possesses a strong sense of composition, color, animation timing, and storytelling
- Animates a wide variety of subject matter from vehicles to small objects, to realistic character performances, all with a strong sense of camera animation
- Uses lights efficiently
- Has good knowledge of cinematic language, camera terminology and the ability to use motion blur, depth of field and other effects, to create realism
- Has the ability to clean up & accentuate mocap animation
- Is team oriented and able to successfully take direction from a supervisor
- Is adaptable, flexible and accepting of change, often tossing out ideas and starting anew
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe After Effects
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
Previs Asset Builder
The Third Floor London is seeking a special breed of 3D modellers. Assets are built quickly and must be highly optimized for real-time workflow in Maya. An asset builder must be able to take artistic direction from a wide spectrum of sources to produce environments, props, and characters that best represent the director's vision. The ideal asset builder candidate will have a strong sense of design and feel comfortable filling in the gaps of information to ensure each asset looks its best. Strong Knowledge of low-polygon modelling is a must, and good knowledge of real-time OpenGL techniques for lighting and FX is a plus.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be team oriented and able to successfully take direction from a supervisor
- Be adaptable, flexible and accepting of change, often tossing out ideas and starting anew
- Have a strong sense of design, and a knack for using real-time elements to evoke cinematic lighting and depth
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- Mudbox (a plus)
- ZBrush (a plus)
The Third Floor London is seeking a special breed of technical and creative artist. Applicants should have a variety of CG skills and a solid understanding of composition and cinematography. The Third Floor’s artists collaborate with high-profile directors, editors and VFX supervisors and must be prepared to implement changes on the fly.
- 3+ years CG experience in commercials, features and/or games
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong layout and camera animation skills are a must
- Generalist capabilities (i.e. the basic ability to model, texture, animate, light, and composite)
- Strong modelling and texturing skills
- Strong character animation and timing skills
- 3D tracking and match moving skills a plus
- Knowledge of rigging, mel scripting, and dynamics a plus
- Traditional skills such as storyboarding and matte painting a plus
- Film school background and/or on-set experience desired
- A vivid imagination
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe After Effects (a plus)
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- Boujou, PFTrack (a plus)
The Third Floor London is seeking a Previs Editor with strong animation and technical skills.
- Edit using animated Quicktime movies and storyboards
- Coordinate with the previs supervisor to acquire all shots to be used in the final project
- Participate in story discussions and suggest additional shots
- Edit sound effects and music
- Record temp dialogue and edit into sequence
- Effectively take notes and feedback and apply supervisor's and director's notes to sequences
- Handle multiple projects and deliver results in a timely manner
- Catalogue and manage all work, edit versions, desktop computer files
- Produce company show reels and presentation material
- Troubleshoot technical problems and operate independently without assistance
Preferred Skills & Experience
- At least 3 years professional experience in digital editing using Avid
- Must have great communication skills with high-profile clients in the film industry
- Detail oriented with an ability to meet frequent deadlines
- Fluent proficiency on Final Cut Pro and Avid required
- Must have experience cutting picture, sound and music
- Must have your own collection of sound effects and music
- Must have strong storytelling skills
- Able to take direction and work well with others
- Ability to work with people in a collaborative environment.
- Solid knowledge of film terminology, film techniques, film editing styles, film mixing, and film in general
- Knowledge of audio/video compression and converters for client delivery
- Technical understanding of PC and Mac OS X (Hardware & Software)
The Previs Coordinator is central to previs project management. They liaise with all aspects of production as well as help strategize and implement tasks and targets crucial to the delivery of the project on time and on budget.
- Work with producer, leads and supervisors to track and manage the artists, meeting internal and external deadlines
- Organize dailies, Cinesync and Skype sessions, rounds and meetings, taking notes and following up on information as necessary
- Ensure production database is updated daily with notes and critical information before departing for the day
- Communicate information quickly and succinctly to crew and other departments in person, not just via email
- Keep communication flowing through all members of the team
- Anticipate and communicate issues to producer and supervisor to resolve problems quickly
- Take detailed, comprehensive notes and review with lead after dailies /rounds
- Maintain accurate summary of progress from previous day’s work by artists
- Oversee execution of client deliveries
- Helping to maintain a positive, upbeat and professional production office, being pro-active and solution-oriented for all members of the team
- Other ad hoc duties as may be reasonably expected of the post-holder
- The role will require being off-site for periods of time
- Previous experience at Production Coordinator or Production Assistant level
- Highly organized, first-class time/project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to prioritize conflicting tasks
- Ability to remain calm and confident in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work within a team towards a common goal
- In depth understanding of the production workflow
- In depth understanding of common file formats and resolutions
- Excellent client communication skills
- Existing knowledge of production databases, including Shotgun
- Good knowledge of MS Office packages (incl Excel, Word and Project)
- Good knowledge of Maya and Photoshop a plus
- Basic Avid/editorial knowledge
- Lateral thinking skills
The Third Floor London is looking for a Pipeline Support TD. The role will involve creating pipeline tools and further development of the existing previsualisation workflow and pipeline. While the role will be based in London, the successful candidate would report to our Head of Pipeline in our Los Angeles office.
- At least 3 years of pipeline support experience.
- Excellent knowledge of Maya, After Effects and Microsoft Windows.
- Proficient in Mel and Python.
- Motion Builder experience.
- A good understanding of the film-making process.
- An awareness of Virtual Production.
- Proven problem solving abilities, excellent communication & documentation skills.
- Able to work to both long and short deadlines.
- Flexible and able to work in a frequently changing environment.
- Ability to prioritise production needs and tasks.
- Detail oriented with strong ability to multi-task.
- General understanding of networking and performance issues that arise with automated tools.
- Proven understanding of data flow and management.
- Rigging experience desirable.
The Third Floor are currently in search of an IT Manager/Systems Engineer for our LA office
- Manage the deployment and support of a global IT infrastructure.
- Responsible for content and data security in compliance with requirements required from major film studios.
- Provide production support via phone, email and live at desk-side.
- Handle all company data management priorities.
- Setup, maintain and monitor critical infrastructure systems.
- Analyze and find creative solutions for software, hardware and systems problems involving Producers, VFX Artist Coordinators, VFX Artists and Developers.
- Enhance, modify, and redesign technology systems to accommodate the ever-changing requirements of production.
- Act as a liaison between IT and various departments in support of production efforts.
- Task, prioritize or advise IT staff.
- Manage hardware and software vendor relationships.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Expert level knowledge and experience deploying, managing and operating Enterprise Infrastructure Platforms (Active Directory, VMware ESXi, EMC Isilon, SonicWall, HP Procurve) or similar.
- Expert level knowledge of high performance data networks, firewalling.
- Experience administering Google Apps for Business.
- Experience or working knowledge of Configuration management and deployment tools.
- Understanding of animation and VFX production and experience configuring, deploying and maintaining typical applications used in this space (Maya, Nuke….
- Experience / interest in pipeline processes (asset management, render farm) a plus.
- Scripting skills (shell/PHP/Perl/Python/…).
- Working knowledge of Digital video and codecs.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytic, systematic and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly with non-technical production staff.
- Ability to keep a positive attitude in sometimes stressful situations and keep a clear sense of priorities.
- Strong customer service ethic and natural problem solving abilities.