Details on roles we have available or are always looking to fill at THE THIRD FLOOR follow below. Our online careers form can be accessed from the above link to apply online.
Previs Shot Creator
The Third Floor is seeking ambitious artists who are looking for a golden opportunity to make their mark on the entertainment industry. By using the language of cinematography and animation in tandem to design the strongest possible sequences, a previs artist holds an impactful and highly collaborative role in the filmmaking process. The artistic sketch of the film to come, quickly produced through previs, supports effective creation, communication and realization of the project from development through to production and post.
A previs shot creator pieces together elements, sets them in motion, and “films” them with virtual cameras to create cinematic sequences that represent the creative blueprint. Nearly any aspect of a shot can be tweaked instantaneously to improve the composition or the timing of the action. Working with the previs supervisor, previs shot creators produce previs shots and sequences that help to support the director's vision via appropriate use of camera movement, lenses, composition, staging, lighting, and editing.
The ideal candidate:
- Possesses a strong sense of composition, color, animation timing, and storytelling
- Animates a wide variety of subject matter from vehicles to small objects, to realistic character performances, all with a strong sense of camera animation
- Uses lights efficiently
- Has good knowledge of cinematic language, camera terminology and the ability to use motion blur, depth of field and other effects, to create realism
- Has the ability to clean up & accentuate mocap animation
- Is team oriented and able to successfully take direction from a supervisor
- Is adaptable, flexible and accepting of change, often tossing out ideas and starting anew
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe After Effects
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
Previs Asset Builder
The Third Floor is seeking a special breed of 3D modellers. Assets are built quickly and must be highly optimized for real-time workflow in Maya. An asset builder must be able to take artistic direction from a wide spectrum of sources to produce environments, props, and characters that best represent the director's vision. The ideal asset builder candidate will have a strong sense of design and feel comfortable filling in the gaps of information to ensure each asset looks its best. Strong Knowledge of low-polygon modelling is a must, and good knowledge of real-time OpenGL techniques for lighting and FX is a plus.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be team oriented and able to successfully take direction from a supervisor
- Be adaptable, flexible and accepting of change, often tossing out ideas and starting anew
- Have a strong sense of design, and a knack for using real-time elements to evoke cinematic lighting and depth
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- Mudbox (a plus)
- ZBrush (a plus)
The Third Floor is seeking a special breed of technical and creative artist. Applicants should have a variety of CG skills and a solid understanding of composition and cinematography. The Third Floor’s artists collaborate with high-profile directors, editors and VFX supervisors and must be prepared to implement changes on the fly.
- 3+ years CG experience in commercials, features and/or games
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong layout and camera animation skills are a must
- Generalist capabilities (i.e. the basic ability to model, texture, animate, light, and composite)
- Strong modelling and texturing skills
- Strong character animation and timing skills
- 3D tracking and match moving skills a plus
- Knowledge of rigging, mel scripting, and dynamics a plus
- Traditional skills such as storyboarding and matte painting a plus
- Film school background and/or on-set experience desired
- A vivid imagination
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe After Effects (a plus)
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- Boujou, PFTrack (a plus)
The Third Floor is seeking a Previs Editor with strong animation and technical skills.
- Edit using animated Quicktime movies and storyboards
- Coordinate with the previs supervisor to acquire all shots to be used in the final project
- Participate in story discussions and suggest additional shots
- Edit sound effects and music
- Record temp dialogue and edit into sequence
- Effectively take notes and feedback and apply supervisor's and director's notes to sequences
- Handle multiple projects and deliver results in a timely manner
- Catalogue and manage all work, edit versions, libraries and desktop computer files
- Produce company show reels and presentation material
- Troubleshoot technical problems and operate independently without assistance
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Proven professional experience in digital editing using Avid
- Must have great communication skills with high-profile clients in the film industry
- Detail oriented with an ability to meet frequent deadlines
- Fluent proficiency with Avid required. Proficiency with Adobe Premiere and/or Final Cut Pro a bonus
- Must have strong storytelling skills
- Able to take direction and work well with others
- Ability to work with people in a collaborative environment.
- Solid knowledge of film terminology, film techniques, film editing styles, film mixing, and film in general
- Knowledge of audio/video compression and converters for client delivery
- Technical understanding of PC and Mac OS X (Hardware & Software)
The Previs Coordinator is central to previs project management. They liaise with all aspects of production as well as help strategize and implement tasks and targets crucial to the delivery of the project on time and on budget.
- Work with producer, leads and supervisors to track and manage the artists, meeting internal and external deadlines
- Organize dailies, Cinesync and Skype sessions, rounds and meetings, taking notes and following up on information as necessary
- Ensure production database is updated daily with notes and critical information before departing for the day
- Communicate information quickly and succinctly to crew and other departments in person, not just via email
- Keep communication flowing through all members of the team
- Anticipate and communicate issues to producer and supervisor to resolve problems quickly
- Take detailed, comprehensive notes and review with lead after dailies /rounds
- Maintain accurate summary of progress from previous day’s work by artists
- Oversee execution of client deliveries
- Helping to maintain a positive, upbeat and professional production office, being pro-active and solution-oriented for all members of the team
- Other ad hoc duties as may be reasonably expected of the post-holder
- The role will require being off-site for periods of time
- Previous experience at Production Coordinator or Production Assistant level
- Highly organized, first-class time/project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to prioritize conflicting tasks
- Ability to remain calm and confident in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work within a team towards a common goal
- In depth understanding of the production workflow
- In depth understanding of common file formats and resolutions
- Excellent client communication skills
- Existing knowledge of production databases, including Shotgun
- Good knowledge of MS Office packages (incl Excel, Word and Project)
- Good knowledge of Maya and Photoshop a plus
- Basic Avid/editorial knowledge
- Lateral thinking skills
Game Engine TD
The Third Floor is looking for an experienced Unreal Engine programmer who enjoys a collaborative and creative work environment. We are looking to push the boundaries of entertainment, developing for cutting-edge hardware, working on virtual and augmented reality experiences. In this position you will develop ground-breaking new work in real-time entertainment across a variety of projects and platforms. Unreal Engine is the primary development focus, but a familiarity with other game engines is certainly welcome.
- Build amazing VR games and experiences
- Work with an agile and interdisciplinary team of artists, designers, and programmers to design, prototype, and implement new gameplay assets & features
- Help to improve development pipeline, support the technical artists and level designers via plug-in and tool development
- Assess tech and developmental risks. Propose solutions to overcome identified risks
- Assist in specification, ensure that design and implementation of experience meets run-time and performance budgeting requirements
- Collaborate with production to develop task lists, estimates, & schedules
- Actively participate in the QA process to identify and fix bugs
- Assist with R&D as it relates to real-time productions at TTF
- Bachelor's and or Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 3-4 years of game development experience as a programmer
- Extensive experience working with-and extending-Unreal 3 or 4
- Extensive experience with the C++ programming language
- Strong familiarity with OOD principles
- Solid understanding of algorithms, physics and math
- Write polished, optimized and documented code
- Experience creating and using real-time shaders
- Experience with game audio libraries: Miles, FMOD, Wwise, etc.
- Experience working with Blueprints Visual Scripting
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong understanding of 3D modeling, texturing and animation
- An appreciation for - and strong desire to create - amazing games
Desired Skills or Experience:
- Unity, Crytek or other ''under the hood'' game engine experience
- Experience developing for game consoles (PS3, XBOX 360)
- Previous experience or strong desire to be working with VR or AR hardware & SDKs
The Third Floor London is seeking an experienced Art Lead to oversee asset creation and artistic direction for all VR and game-engine related projects. The ideal candidate will have prior experience managing teams of asset creators (modellers, textures, rigging, shaders and look development) in addition to hands-on experience and a ‘hands on’ approach. Strong Unreal Experience is essential and experience with other game engines preferable.
- Oversee the Art Direction & Production of all VR and Game-Engine related projects
- Hands on when necessary with the creation of project assets
- To supervise and support a team of artists creating high quality, efficient assets for game-engine use
- To understand and communicate the technical and artistic requirements of creating game-engine ready assets
- Experienced with asset management systems (e.g. Perforce) and making sure content is submitted and is up-to-date
- To understand the technical and artistic requirements that are specifically required for each project
- To work in collaboration with project Supervisors and Production to help plan, manage and create the assets that are required for the project
- Act as a point of contact, To be the point of contact for any asset issues or challenges
- Comfortable and able to create any type of asset - both environmental and character based - that are required for the task
- Have a strong understanding of rigging requirements both within Maya and game-ready assets
- Exceptional experience with the Unreal Game Engine
- Excellent understanding and experience with Maya
- Experience on multiple game projects as Lead Artist or Supervising Artist
- Good 2D art and concept skills
- Experience with a PBR workflow
- High level experience with Z-Brush
- Previous experience working with and building game assets
- Proven experience of managing teams
- Prior asset & workflow experience
- Possesses strong aesthetics in lighting, colour, and design, and effectively uses the best methods to bring about results quickly and efficiently
- Substantial experience in modeling, texturing, rigging, animating & lighting
- Client savvy and can consistently demonstrate “forward facing” communication skills and practices as needed by the production
- Understanding and ideally experience with other game engines - ie. Unity, CryEngine & Frostbite
- Other modelling software – 3D Studio Max, Autocad etc a plus
- Strong eye for detail
- Excellent Communication and problem-solving skills
- To be adaptable, flexible and accepting of change, often tossing out ideas and starting anew
- Able to think creatively and resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Strong time management & organisation skills
The Third Floor London is looking for a Level Designer to help design and develop mechanics and interfaces for high profile VR and Film related projects. The role will be hands-on with the Unreal Engine producing original content.
- Authoring and maintaining game and level design documentation including – but not limited to – storyboards, mechanics, UI flow, level layouts and mission outlines.
- Be an active part of the design team with regards to mechanics, story, missions, best practices, and all other elements of the game and level design.
- Create game objects and templates for use across multiple projects.
- Design complete levels / interactions from paper, through prototyping, to completion, with direction from Leads.
- Communicate level concepts and requirements to the team.
- Gameplay and experience tuning for pace, mood, user experience, and playability.
- Unreal 4 experience, including level blockout, blueprint, particle effects, and matinee.
- The ability to design and prototype levels from scratch.
- Experience documenting and communicating ideas to the team
- Working knowledge of Photoshop.
- Working knowledge of Maya.
- Experience with the Unreal Engine.
- Experience with the Unreal Engine
- Experience with VR an advantage.
- Able to think creatively and resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, both on a technical and creative basis
- Proven attention to detail and focus on quality
- Demonstrate a logical thought process to problem solving
- Strong eye for detail
The Third Floor London is looking for a passionate Environment Artist to work on high profile VR and Film related projects. The role will be hands-on with the Unreal Engine producing original content, so strong Unreal Experience is essential and experience with other game engines preferable.
- To drive the creative and quality vision of a project, and be able to communicate those ideas and goals to the rest of the team.
- Take environments from concept, through to completion in the Unreal Engine
- Envisage and create environments that display the highest quality of composition and visual narrative and take the user on a visual journey.
- Implement efficient particle and geometry based VFX in Unreal.
- Work with Level Designers and Technical Artists to make environments functional and efficient
- Contribute to the technical and tools pipelines, and workflows (in conjunction with our Technical Artists).
- Work with the art team on skills progression and career development.
- Substantial games industry experience, including a Lead or Senior Artist credit on at least one published title.
- Experience being the creative lead on a project, whilst responsible for the output of a team of artists.
- Excellent Unreal Engine skills.
- Extensive experience with composition and lighting.
- Knowledge of colour theory and its application in games environments.
- Experience with Maya.
- Experience with Z-brush
- Experience with VFX in Unreal.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience producing concept art.
- Experience with other sculpting packages, such as Mudbox.
- Experience of team management and scheduling.
- Experience with other game engines – e.g. Unity, CryEngine & Frostbite.
- Strong eye for detail.
- Excellent Communication and problem-solving skills.
- Adaptable, flexible, and accepting of change; often tossing out ideas and starting anew.
- Able to think creatively and resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Strong time management & organisation skills.
THE THIRD FLOOR London is seeking a Recruiter to support the Artist Manager and will be an integral part of the production team. The successful candidate will source the best talent for our London office and film studios. They will be a natural at building strong relationships with external artists and act as the first point of contact for recruitment. Our new team member needs to be an excellent communicator with strong negotiation skills.
- Manage The Third Floor London’s recruitment reporting to the Artist Manager
- Source active and passive talent through The Third Floor’s careers inbox and applicable media channels
- Handle the full-cycle of recruitment (artists, production & admin staff)
- Negotiation of contract and salary details for new hires and to escalate when necessary
- Prepare all introductory admin and support for all new artists joining the company
- Deal with Recruitment based queries from candidates and employees, line managers, and recruitment partners in a professional and timely manner
- Arrange interviews, booking interview rooms and sending out confirmations to Supervisors and the interviewees
- Conduct all interviews for non-managerial candidates, adhering to company brand and interviewing methodologies
- Maintain a robust, detailed, and accurate recruiting databases (in Filemaker) including everyone hired, for which project, and add in notes so that we have a recruitment history
- Utilise social networking, job boards, referrals, recruitment companies and our internal network to find the best talent in the industry to join TTFL, using recruitment marketing practises
- Review resumes and demo reels with support from the Supervisors for assessment of skills, experience and knowledge
- Involvement with the pre-organisation for University and Recruitment events such as costs, dates and suggestions for attendees
- Conduct tours for external guests using TTF materials regarding the work of The Third Floor
- Handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
Skills and Requirements:
- The internet plays a large part in our market research so being savvy and experienced in online databases, tracking and networking are a must
- Previous experience recruiting for the visual effects industry preferred and/or an understanding of CG practices
- You must have the ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Strong salary negotiation skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Effective communicator at all levels, with the ability to build good relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent attention to detail and pride and quality of output
- Experience of working under pressure and to deadlines with the ability to multi-task
- Willingness to effectively participate as a full member of a team demonstrating a positive and enthusiastic approach
- Customer focused with the ability to deliver against expectations of management
- Able to work on own initiative
IT Tech Runner
THE THIRD FLOOR, Inc. is the world’s pre-eminent visualization company with offices in Los Angeles and London as well as on location with productions around the world. Since 2004, the studio has helped clients visualize and maximize content by producing computer-animated blueprints, known as “previsualizations”. Recent film and television projects THE THIRD FLOOR has worked on include The Martian, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Marvel’s Ant-Man, Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road, Maleficent, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy and Game of Thrones Seasons 4 and 5. The Technology Runner will work in the IT team to provide IT support for the Third Floor office and studios. This is a very exciting opening for anyone with a true passion for technology and support. It is an opportunity to gain training and insight on the systems powering our many creative teams, on our various projects. As a gateway to a career in Systems this role is an ideal way for a hardworking and motivated individual to get their foot in the door of this creative industry.
- Workstation relocation and configuration
- Basic workstation troubleshooting
- Preventative maintenance
- On-set setups
- Call logging and assigning
- Prepare documentation, asset management, manage loan equipment
- Previous support experience, or recent Computing (or related) qualification
- Can show a strong passion for technology
- Technically hands-on
- Experience in a customer facing support role
- Experience supporting Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Active Directory
- Hands-on hardware support; builds, upgrades, repair
- Printers, Scanners, Imaging, Backups, Anti-virus
- Basic Scripting
- Understand of networking: DNS\DHCP, TCP/IP etc.
- Documentation, call logging, procurement
- Understanding or exposure to 3D Animation application support would be an advantage
- Self-motivated, flexible & strong problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail: can follow written procedures
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Thorough and methodical
- The ability to work well in a team
- Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production orientated environment
- *Note some heavy lifting is required in this role